As we prepare to celebrate the Bicentennial, there is so much history that brought us to where we are today. Rush County Historian, John D. Wilson, will share (over the next few months) a brief history of the people and places that give foundation to the early days of Rush County. "Come - be a part of history!" All copy/photo's are property of the Rush County Historical Society.
1. Our first article will take you back to 1830 and sets the tone for claiming land in
Rush County. To read more, just Click Here. (June 2020)
2. Our second installment takes you on a journey about what is required of you as a pioneer in Rush
County. To read more just Click Here. (July 2020)
3. Our third article will introduce you to the "Father of Rush County." To read more
just Click Here (August 2020)
4. Our fourth article highlights the history of prior pandemic/illness as it unfolded in Rush County.
Quite timely based on where we are today - just Click Here. (September 2020)
5. The fifth installment leading up to our Bicentennial deal with Taxes, Taverns,
and Jails. To read more, Click Here. (October 2020)
6. The sixth article begs the question - did hogs play a part in our history? You can find out by
by Clicking Here. (November 2020)
7. The seventh article looks at how public opinion has affected our history. To
read this timely article just Click Here. (December 2020)
8. Our eighth story tells us of what some have called the "Titanic of the Civil War." To learn
more about the meaning and power of this story please Click Here (January 2021)
9. The ninth article urges you to "never look a gift horse in the mouth."
Want to know more about what that saying has to do with the history
of Rush County? To read more just Click Here. (February 2021)
10. Everyone needs a home. In article ten we find out how a very special town hosted child-
ren in need and served as a much needed home through the years. Click Here (March
2021) to read more.
11. Rush County has a rich history that touches all aspects of our lives.
From covered bridges to airplanes, we find many connections. To learn
more read the "Wright Stuff" Click Here (April 2021) to read more
12. The aviation adventure continues in article twelve. History makes it way through Rush
County and takes flight in new and different ways. To read more Click Here (May 2021)
13. What would Rush County be without mentioning covered bridges?
Follow us as we catch up with the Kennedy brothers and their bridge
building skills. To read more Click Here (June 2021)
14. Summer months mean County Fair time! The stories of animals shown, 4-H projects, and
rides ridden are just some of the many memories. Click Here to read more (July 2021)
15. Unique groups, prominent figures, and significant honors tell the story of
Rush County. To read more about "The Judge, The Clan, The Sagamore"
just Click Here.
16. If walls could talk, this building could tell stories for quite a while. Here's just a glimpse
of the history and events that mean so much to Memorial Gym. To read all about it
Click Here (Sept 2021)
17. Our horse history continues with "Noble and Worthy." Standardbred
horses dominated Rush County tracks. To read more Click Here
18. All of us have stories to tell. But if you want to hear what life was like in Rush County, you'll
want to read "A Conversation With Mabel." Click Here (Nov 2021) to hear her words.
19. You need school supplies you say! Well look no further and learn how a
Chicken House grew and grew into Harcourt Outlines. Just Click Here.
20. The smooth look of wood transformed into beautiful pieces of furniture has a home in
Homer, Indiana and is set to continue it's long heritage. Click Here. ((Jan. 2022)
21. Happy Birthday Rush County - it's time to celebrate and there
is much to look forward to. To read more, Click Here (Feb. 2022)
22. A community based on faith and a simple life - the Amish who re-
side in Rush County have their own history that spans generations. To read more, just
Click Here (March 2022).
23. Community safety and leadership walk hand- in-hand.
"Rush County Law Enforcement - A Look Back" follows
the lives of two who have lead the way in so many
capacities. Click Here (April 2022)